Wednesday, March 7, 2012

18 weeks!

How far along? 18 weeks, 3 days


Total weight gain: I've actually lost 2 pounds since my last OB visit. That can be attributed to me following the GD diet. More on that below...

Appointments: We had our anatomy scan on Monday. It was amazing. Well, amazing aside from the new tech pressing on my side so hard with the ultrasound wand/gun/thingy that I ended up getting nauseous. But we found out we're having a girl. AAH! We are so so so excited. Mike is still sort of in shock since he was convinced that it was a boy, but he's still so happy and excited to meet our baby girl.  After the scan, we had an appointment with Maternalfetal Medicine to discuss my gestational diabetes. I'm doing ok controlling it through diet, but they actually want me to eat more and get more calories because I'm still hungry during the day. So I have to eat every two hours and load up my foods with fats when I can. I still have to be careful with carbs, but I've found that I can load those up during dinner with no ramifications. Woohoo! I'm going to have some fun eating more, I can tell you that. Although it of course is a fine line in regards to eating more and not having my sugar levels go up too high. Wish me luck not crossing that line!

How big is baby? Head to rump, baby girl is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and she weighs almost 7 ounces. She's busy flexing her arms and legs (We saw her do this during the ultrasound. So cute!). Her blood vessels are visible through her thin skin, and her ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from her head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around her nerves, a process that will continue for a year after she's born.

Clothing?  Went shopping this past weekend. Not fun. I'm not big enough in the bump area to look right in most maternity shirts. I ended up getting a cardigan and two blousy shirts. One is pictured below.

Sleep? Sleeping pretty good. I'm so used to getting up three times each night now. It's no big deal. Still miss sleeping on my stomach though. Sigh.

Food Aversions? Can't think of any. YAY!   (Although I'm pretty darn sick of peanut butter and eggs - my main protein sources)

Symptoms? Stomach still hurts most days but nothing too bad. New symptom = I can feel my hips expanding. It feels kinda crazy.

Picture: One from the front, one from the side this time.



Baby Girl deserves to have her picture included, too!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Petruskaette!! Love you already!! Molly, you look great!

    ReplyDelete