Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day 2009

Ahh.. Labor Day. Day of no Labor. I like it. I'm not a huge fan of labor to begin with, as most that know me can attest; therefore, I an a big fan of this particular holiday. We just saw a piece on the Sunday Morning show about outlawing any labor or shopping on Sundays. Interesting that this used to be true in America. My first reaction was, "Jeez. When would I go shopping?!" But ya know, it may be a good idea to have a day when we are all forced to relax and spend time with the people around us or read or talk a nice leisurely walk. But of course, my reaction to that thought was that then there'd be too many people at the park or walking around in the streets 'relaxing' and getting in my way. So, I guess we should just leave well enough alone. :P

I have no particular purpose for starting this blog. I wanted to have a place to jot down my thoughts and let people know what is going on with my life. There are many things happening in my life now, so I guess it could turn out to be interesting. Or it could be a dud. But, I'm going to stick with it for a while and see what happens. Some funny stories could show up, some recipes, or some rambling thoughts. We'll see...

Speaking of things going on, Mike and I are going to start to try to conceive. 38 years old seems like a good a time as any to start. I'm trying to get the hang of figuring out what I need to know in terms of fertility and all things related. I knew from some friends' experiences that there were many things involved, but I thought that I could just skip all of that and go right to the part where I say, "Would ya look at that? A plus sign!" Not gonna happen. I won't document all of the details, but ladies... you probably know what I'm talking about. I'm nervous about it all for many reasons. Obviously age brings on fears of risks and chances and all of that. And I wonder what it means that I pretty much had to breathe into a paper bag when I watched an episode of '16 and Pregnant' on MTV today during the part of the episode when the teenager was giving birth. Yeah, I know what happens when a woman goes into labor, but that poor girl was freaking out and in some ka-razy looking pain. Haven't they figured out how to give an epidural by any other means than a huge friggin' shot in your back? They should work on that. I am excited about it all, but I really have to up my tolerance for anything past a bruise in order to be a happy pregnant lady. How can you be equal parts excited and equal parts freaked out? It is a teeter-totter existence, but so it is. That's life.

2 comments:

  1. Wait until you are pregnant and reach the end of those very long 40 weeks. You won't care that you're in pain in labor - you'll do anything to get that kid out and move on with life!

    Looking forward to reading the blog, so keep at it! Oh, and yeah, I'd be fine with stores being closed on Sundays. Yeah, it may be an inconvenience at first, but I think we could all a little forced slow down time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, you'll be so glad to get the dang baby out, you won't care about the size of the needle.

    ReplyDelete