Tuesday, September 15, 2009

R.I.P. Patrick Swayze


Patrick Swayze. R.I.P.
So sad. We all knew that he was very sick, but I guess I expected him to pull through somehow - despite the dire statistics for pancreatic cancer. But when I saw someone's FB post that he had passed, it really shocked and saddened me. Some celebrity passings hit me like that (i.e. River Phoenix, Lisa Left Eye Lopez, Aaliyah), but those were sudden deaths. I suppose it is really sad because Patrick Swayze was still relatively young and so determined to make it. It also hits a place in my heart where memories from my past reside. I have seen The Outsiders and Dirty Dancing approximately 12 times each. They were released at a time in my life when I was going through a lot of growth (emotionally, not so much physically -haha). His passing makes me remember those times with a bittersweet feeling. His passing makes me feel like I'm older somehow. Those memories are farther in the distance now somehow.

Of course, it is inspirational also to think about his life. How he was happily married for 36 years, how he starred in a television show when he was obviously very ill, how he had the courage to speak about his fears regarding his illness openly and honestly. His pain has ended. He lived a good life.

1 comment:

  1. 36 years of marriage - wow. I think Dirty Dancing is part of my childhood that I'd never trade. What an awesome movie, and he really helped make it so! It was like "Dancing with the Stars" before it's time!

    ReplyDelete