Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Health mag experiment: Jan/Feb


So, I'm ready to move forward with my Health magazine experiment. I was going to do it for one month, but since January is already almost over (wha?!) and I need to see how it goes for the first experiment, I'm giving myself a little over one month.

I also spent some time looking through different issues of Health magazine and found the most do-able things in the Nov. 2009 issue, so that's what I'm going to use. Again, these will involve exercises, recipes, products, self improvement tips, and -um - other. (Although the recipes part may have to wait because I'm going to be doing a 'session' of South Beach to kickstart my metabolism.) So, by February 28th, I will try the following:

1) ...protect myself from sneaky germs: I'm waging war on germs, y'all! I will:
- turn the pockets of my jeans inside out before washing in hot water so as to kill germs that are on things that get lodged in my pockets.
- buy wireless phone wipes and wipe down my phone each day.
- gently clean my debit card with a bleach-based disinfecting cleaner since I hand it over to lots of people to swipe through the card reader.

2) ...be loading up on anything anti-oxidant related:
- Get as much pomegranate as I can to fight free radicals. This will involve drinking pomegranate juice and also trying this product:

http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/shop/7270.aspx

- Eat as much fish as possible.

3) ...be eating lots of eggs. Health says that people who eat eggs every day for breakfast whittle their waists down more than those who get their calories from AM foods like bagels. Luckily the South Beach Diet is all about eggs.

4) ...practice one yoga pose every day to relieve stress and become more (um, maybe not more, but just) graceful. The tree pose is supposed to improve my balance and "make you feel more lovely." I like lovely.

5) ... be taking Health's advice for my diet plan. They recommend that people who like to be told what to eat, need coffee, and don't always want to cook from scratch to try the South Beach Diet.

6) ...compliment someone as often as possible. It "gives them and you a lift." I'll blog about this. I wonder how many women will say something to negate the compliment. I hate when we do that!

7) ...try to erase some of these dang-blasted wrinkles by smoothing a little grapeseed oil onto said wrinkles each night before bed. Grapeseed oil is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids.

8) ..blast fat by using a kettlebell. I need to find one, but when I do I can burn tons of calories. It "incorporates explosive movements. ...uses multiple muscle groups simultaneously, which burns more calories."

9) ... "shake up date night." Health suggested going to a comedy club so we're going to go see Brian Bosehn next month. Fun! Consider us shaken! :P

10) ...melt away stress with Johnson's Body Care Lavender & Chamomile Body Wash. You don't have to tell me twice to try an affordable body wash/lotion that gets rid of stress. I'm in!

11) ..."work the bicycle crunch." My PT wants me to work my core more so as to stabilize my back so this should help.

I said that I'd do 12 'experiments', but with the South Beach being a HUGE challenge, I'm going to shorten that by one this time.

I'll update when things are worth mentioning. This should be fun!

2 comments:

  1. I love kettle bells! They sell them at Target in different sizes. Good luck with the challenge, and let me know if you are able to master the moon pose. I have a hard time with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is a lot! But you can do it! And the dark chocolate covered pomegranate that Costco sells is totally yummy, but sadly probably not the most healthy way to consume pomegranante.

    ReplyDelete