Friday, January 15, 2010

Makes Me Think


While I'm getting my back in order so that I can start my Health challenge, I wanted to post about a site that a friend recommended. It made me think and smile.

http://makesmethink.com/

How sweet is this? "Today, I was getting some work done at a local coffee house when I saw a cute elderly couple sipping extra large cappuccinos. The woman was reading the newspaper aloud softly for her husband who was blind. He smiled and made the most expressive facial expressions every time she read something new. MMT"

I try to be an observant person, but sometimes I get so caught up in where I'm walking or what I hav eto do next that I forget to look around and observe the world. This makes me think that I should do more of that.

(The site isn't all happy observations and thoughts, but the happy ones are really good.)

Picture from www.thatschurch.com

I'm thinking about the people in Haiti, that's for sure. I am having a hard time watching the coverage of the aftermath of the earthquake. My mind can't take in what it means for that many buildings and towns to be destroyed, for thousands of people to be dead and buried in the rubble. But there are heartwarming stories to be found... Like the one about the orphanage run by the two women from Ben Avon, PA. As a result of communications via social networking sites, the women and the orphans (who are living in the front yard of the orphanage right now) are cleared to come to the U.S. There needs to be a plane found that can bring them all back, but I'm confident that will happen somehow soon. People care. The thing that makes me get a huge lump in my throat over this story is that the women who run the orphanage weren't willing to take the free ride back to the States that was offered to them because they didn't want to leave the children. These aren't their children. They have their own families back in the States. But they feel such love and devotion to the children of Haiti that they were willing topossibly die with them rather than abandon them. I hope that there is a way for people to help them when they get back to the States (specifically, hopefully Pittsburgh.) I'll be the first in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment