Saturday, January 2, 2010

Buh Bye 2009

2009 wasn't my favorite. While it brought some great things like my first wedding anniversary and resurrected & new friendships for which I'm incredibly thankful, it also brought a broken foot that tested my patience and almost ruined a vacation, cruddy hardships in my sister's life, the passing of my beautiful Aunt, more minor illnesses than I knew what to do with, and 25 unwanted pounds. So, I say adios 2009.

I do love a new year. It looks different, feels different. It brings a new page to fill with experiences and memories. It brings a renewed energy to do something good for yourself and/or for others. Resolutions aren't something that I usually even think about. I can't even stick with a book most of the time so I don't usually resolve to do anything. But I'm feeling a little wacky this year and am going to commit to try to attempt to maybe do some things this year. I'm putting these resolutions out there - on blast as the kids say - so that I can look back and hopefully not sigh and wonder when I'm going to stick with one thing that I commit to (even if it is just to put change in a change jar instead of the bottom of my sock drawer). Mike recently told me that it seems like I am real good at choosing things to stick to, but not so much on the follow through. Oh no he dihn't! But ya know, it's true, so I can't fault my loving husband for his tough love.

I've been hearing and reading a lot recently about not setting big ol' lofty resolutions along the lines of "Be happy." and "Lose 25 pounds.", so I'm going to make my resolutions nice and specific.



So, without further ado... My resolutions for 2010:

1) Do the Wii Fit Plus every day for at least 30 minutes. And don't just do the Hula Hoop game the whole time even if it is super duper fun.

2) Wear flat shoes as much as possible since they clearly make my back feel better. Dang my physical therapist and her bright ideas. Flats do help dramatically. I need the added height brought by a good pair of chunky Clarks, but I'm going to attempt to do what she suggested and "Embrace my shortness."

3) Count to ten and take a deep breath before speaking when I'm not sure what to say or when I'm peeved. A novel idea. Think before you speak. Gonna try that out and see what all the fuss is about.

4) Cut internet use down at home. No specific time amount here. Just need to spend more time talking and listening to Mike. He is feeling a bit like an internet widow.

I just got itchy typing those four out, so I'm going to stop there and move forward into 2010 with a fighting chance.

What are your realistic resolutions?

Happy New Year!

P.S. Can we please get rid of the phrase "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" now that it's 2010?

3 comments:

  1. Those are great goals Molly! You can definitely stick with them. My realistic resolution is to complain less. Like you, it took a bit of tough love from the husband to make me realize I need to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I think #1 will be the hardest of those--every day is, well, EVERY day! ;-) I have a tidbit you probably already know, but thought I'd share anyway. Make a list of the excuses you may come up with to avoid doing it every day, and write the rebuttals to those excuses to help you avoid avoiding it (if that makes sense!). Actually write it all down & put somewhere you'll see it often. It really will help! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the ladies said, all good, realistic goals M! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete